[SDBUG] help.... 2 questions

Hydrogen Hosting avireb at bellsouth.net
Wed May 30 21:25:00 PDT 2001

Hey Guys,

I have 2 questions that I hope you can help me with:

1)  I am starting a new hosting company and the tech who set up my server with
Free BSD told me that there is no way to restrict my customers to see only
their own directories via FTP.

He said that once I give them FTP access, they can explore all over the file
system ascending and descending to anywhere they wish.

I know he is mistaken, since I am coming off a BSD server what did not allow
me to even see one directory above my own...In fact it made my directory
appear to me like a root directory.

I want my clients to be able to ftp to their own directories and upload, or
delete any files they need to, But I do not want them to have even visual
access to any other directories... not even /usr/home/

2)  Is there any way to give a client ftp access and no telnet access... asign
them no shell, ie:  /bin/false and still give them ftp access.  each time I
try that, I cannot log that client on with ftp either.

If you can answer these questions, I would be eternally greatful...

Thank you,
Avi