[SDBUG] 6 hard disks for FreeBSD Server

Michael J McCafferty mike at m5computersecurity.com
Sat Oct 22 16:16:15 PDT 2005

Those Highpoints look to be a little less expensive than the 3Ware
controllers I have been using for a few years now. But, any 6 drive
controller is gonna be pricey. How much space does this guy need ?
The space and performance requirements will dictate what controller he wants.

4 x 200 in RAID 5 = 600Gb of usable space. This option will have
lower write performance than the 0+1 configuration that Ron
suggested, but the card will cost less, the total solution will use
less power, will generate less heat, might be a bit quieter, etc.

6 x 200Gb in RAID 5 will have the same lower write performance
compared to the RAID 0+1 but will yield a Terabyte of space.

In both cases the read performance will be comparable to the 0+1.
Also, unless the network is GigE or multi-GigE, I don't think your
going to notice the slower write performance if your really only
using this for FTP.

If this were a transactional database or another system that required
random writes, then the RAID 5 might not be what you want. In this
case it sounds like sequential reads and sequential writes, which
should be fine on RAID 5.

Now, I am not familiar with the Highpoints... Ron, can FreeBSD boot
from RAID 5 on these controllers ?