[SDBUG] Problem installing FreeBSD 6.0

Michael J McCafferty mike at m5computersecurity.com
Sun Apr 30 11:43:56 PDT 2006

I am installing FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE on this following system:

MSI-865GVM3-V Motherboard w/ On-board video set at 1M
Onboard LAN
Western Digital SATA 80GB drive
1GB Kingston RAM
Intel Celeron D 2.66GHz

Installation mehtods: USB CDROM, FTP, IDE CDROM

The problem I am having during installation is that at the end of the
installation, when I go to try and install the src distributions, I get the
following error:

Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 of 1425408 bytes)

and one additional error depending on the source of the files....

USB CDROM drive:
Unable to transfer the base distribution from cd0

IDE CDROM Drive:
Unable to transfer the base distribution from acd0

My customer complained that he was having seemingly random problems and errors
during compiling stuff. He had a kernel panic once when using Debian on this
system. So, I swapped the whole machine out and I get the same errors during
the FreeBSD 6.0 installation. So.. swapped media, swapped source of files,
swapped the machine. What gives ? Thoughts ? Help !?!?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Michael J. McCafferty