[SDBUG] Remote power management recommendation

Bill Studenmund wrstuden at netbsd.org
Thu Dec 21 22:17:15 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 01:08:04AM -0500, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Vye Wilson wrote:
> >Hi again SDBUG, I'm currently doing some research on remote power
> >management devices. Does anyone have a device they'd like to recommend
> >that is suitable for a rackmount environment? I don't really need any
> >units with a web panel. I'm looking for telnet/snmp administrative
> >options. I'm currently considering the iP-820 iBootBar from dataprobe.
> >Any thoughts? Thanks.
> >--Vye
>
> I'm sure you know this already but telnet is insecure, go for "ssh."

Unfortunately all of the devices I'm aware of don't do ssh. If they do
more than telnet (which they should!), they go for http or https. I'd love
to hear of a power controller that does ssh.

One problem with ssh is that you run into key management issues. They're
no big deal for desktops (where you can log in and manage the keys easily)
but can be an issue for embedded devices.

Usually what folks do is telnet from a local device; one in the same
switch. That way the clear-text issues with telnet are minimized.

Take care,

Bill